Sunday, December 3, 2017

Dec 3, 2017 On Poetry, Education, Activism, and Broadside Lotus Press

Today is December 3, 2017.
2017 will soon be over!  What did you do in 2017? 

Poetry-Education-Activism: I've been working on a new book centered on my life as a poet-activist-educator titled "From A Detroit War Primer." I worked for two days to put it together and now have 139 pages. I'm in the revising and editing stage.  I will be releasing the book on Saturday, April 28, 2018, 6:00-7:30 for National Poetry Month at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. As part of the reading, I will be performing my recorded poems with the In The Tradition jazz band.

In October, I read my poem about jazz great Thelonious Monk at the "Monk's Dream Concert."  I read to "Green Chimneys" that was played by Marion Hayden- bandleader and bassist; Kamau Kenyatta- piano;  Raycee Biggs-horns; Rafael Statin- reeds; Djalo Djakate-drums.

Thanks to Mark L. Brown for video recording the set: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5bJbQHBjs3GU0bKJ3
Place your cursor at the bottom left of the screen to raise the volume.

On September 10th, In the Tradition Jazz had a CD release party. My new poems War is Here and Stephen are recorded with the band. 

Announcements:  Broadside Lotus Press will not meet this month at the University of Detroit-Mercy due to the Christmas break. We will resume our poetry workshop and round-robin readings on January 21, 2918 3:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. I am still looking for poets and writers for featured readings. 





No comments:

Post a Comment